Thomson DSI8210 PVR3: Step by Step upgrade guide

Need a guide to upgrading your box? Want to document your upgrade? - This is the forum for you!

Thomson DSI8210 PVR3: Step by Step upgrade guide

Postby Codify » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Couldn't find any guides on how to replace the hard drive on a Thomson DSI 8210 (non-HD) PVR3, so had to work it out by myself. Here's some pics if anyone finds them useful.

You will need:
    A philips cross-head screwdriver, one with a reasonably long shaft :wink:
    Flat blunt knife e.g. a dinner knife, for prying things with
    Small bowl/receptacle so you don't lose all your screws

1. First check you have the right box - the Thomson DSI8210 has a 160GB drive and looks like this:

2. Remove the viewing card. Move to the back and remove the following three screws:

3. Like so:

4. Slide the top cover off. The flat knife might be useful to get you a bit of leverage at the start

5. Keep going, baby

6. Now lift off the cover and reveal the beauty:

7. Unplug the hard drive's power and data cables. They should just slide straight out, although the data cable is particularly snug:

8. Now we have to remove the black hard drive caddy from the sky+ box. First remove the two red screws shown here.

9. (Optional) If you want to give yourself more room to work, you can remove the front of the sky+ box. First remove the blue screw above (remember to also remove the one on the opposite side) so that you can take off the front cover. You will need to turn the box upside down and use the flat knife to prise the catches holding the front cover on:

10. OK, now there are a few more screws to loosen before you can take the black hard drive caddy out. You will need a screwdriver with a relatively long shaft to reach down these deep holes. Make sure you don't miss any out:

11. Close up of one of the screwholes that is easy to miss:

12. Now you can remove the black hard drive caddy from the sky+ box. Be careful, the fan cable will still be attached - you can unplug it from the sky+ box motherboard if you want, but make sure you plug it back in at the end or you will have a toasted sky box.

13. Turn the black hard drive caddy over. On the underside there are four screws you need to remove. One of them is hidden under a warranty sticker (difficult to see on this photo due to the flash glare)

14. Close up of the screw hiding under the warranty sticker - just poke through the sticker to get to the screw

15. Now you can remove the hard drive from the caddy. Huzzah!

16. Now do your thing with Copy+, put the new drive in the caddy and close up using the reverse of the steps above. Easy! 8)
Codify

Re: Thomson DSI8210 PVR3: Step by Step upgrade guide

Postby Codify » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:09 pm

N.B. I upgraded to a 500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKB - £60 delivered from scan or ebuyer. Works flawlessly.
Codify

Postby pcbbc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:37 am

Thanks Codify!
A very well put together and excellently photographed guide.
Thanks for taking the time to put it together!
Good luck with your upgraded drive, Stuart.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby 2seajays » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:06 pm

I followed your excellent guide and even though I am not technical at all, the upgrade went flawlessly and all was fine until around November. I now have major problems but am not sure what the cause is. I have posted my problems, rightly or wrongly, under Copy + General Support on 31 December.
Codify, if you could help I would be most grateful.
Cheers
2seajays

Return to Box Upgrade Guides