Extract location to external drive eats drive C

Having problems with +Extract? Ask in here

Extract location to external drive eats drive C

Postby packman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:28 am

I'm using +Extract 0.4.0.7 to extract streams from an XTV image file. Extracting to drive C works fine.
However, I wish to extract the streams to an external NAS drive. I can select the extract location by selecting my NAS drive in the 'My Network Places' in the Extraction location box. This all seems very intuitive. However, the 'Free Space' shown below the extraction location box still shows free space on drive C (which I thought was a little odd).
I proceeded to do the extraction, and all appeared to work OK. The free space indicated reduced.
After the extraction, I looked for the .str files and they were nowhere to be found. Neither on the external NAS drive or drive C.
The free space on drive C has reduced, but an extensive search has not found the files, even searching system and hidden files.
I am left with a much reduced C drive and no files, and I cannot find the files to delete them to recover the space.
Whats going wrong. Why can I not copy to an external drive, and how do I get my C drive space back ?

EDIT: I am using Windows XP professional SP3 and my C drive is formatted as NTFS. I have tried a reboot and a CHKDSK with 'fix file system errors' to no avail. The files are not in my recycle bin either.

EDIT2: If I map my NAS drive to a drive letter, e.g. 'Z:', and use that as the destination, it all works OK. It is only when I select the NAS drive under 'My Network Places' that thinks go pear shaped.
packman

Re: Extract location to external drive eats drive C

Postby neildo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:49 am

'My Network Places' resolves to a location (Shell Special folder) on your C drive which holds a bunch of shortcuts to UNC paths. My fault in +Extract for not resolving selected shortcuts from there - never had the need to as I've always used local or mapped drives. I'll look into this.

The reason why you can't find the extracted .STR files is that the Windows Shell is hiding files in that location as it doesn't expect to see files there. Its a reference point for networked UNC paths as mentioned above. Use my 'nfind' (which I'll post a link to this evening) to find and delete the rogue .STR files.
neildo
Expert

Postby neildo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:18 am

I've just tested against 'Network Places' which appears on this Windows Server 2008 pc I'm using and UNC paths work correctly. Could be XP's way of resolving those shortcuts. I'll look into this, this evening as my XP pc is at home.

neildo.
neildo
Expert

Postby neildo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Use this tool to find .STR files hidden in the Shell folder:

nFind

Simply enter .STR in Search Filename box (no astrix), choose C:\ and hit search. Any results - you can right click for a context menu and the 'Delete'

neildo.
neildo
Expert

Postby packman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks for the very quick advice. Your nFind utility found them straight away, with the correct file sizes. They were stored in:
c:\Documents and Settings\Username\NetHood\Name of NAS drive\Filename.str
(Note: I've edited the user name, NAS drive name and filename in the above path for privacy)

The only problem is there is no right button context menu on these files, so I cannot delete them. However, there is a right mouse button menu for other files that were found that I don't want to delete.

Bizzarly, I can double click on the .str files within nFind and play their video in Media Player Classic, so they are real files. If I try and use windows explorer to look at the location for the files, I end up looking at my NAS drive where the files are not. They're stuck in no mans land.
packman

Postby neildo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:17 pm

Try a cmd prompt and 1 cd command at a time ie

Using your example path:

c:
cd \
cd "Documents and Settings"
cd Username
cd NetHood
cd Name of NAS drive
del Filename.str

The cmd prompt doesn't render shell special folders so you should be able to do the above.
neildo
Expert

Postby packman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:30 pm

Bingo. That did the trick. Many thanks for the support. I've now got my space back on c:
I'll put that down to experience and not do it again :oops:
Cheers.
packman

Postby neildo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:30 pm

Again, sorry for the trouble this has given you.

I've just fired up my XP machine and while catching debug output from +Extract I see the path given from the explorer control isn't accurate. Comes back as:

C:\Documents and Settings\neildo\NetHood\Raid on Nvs

When it should in fact resolve to \\nvs\raid. Interestingly if you click further into the share (if it has child folders) it does return the full UNC path.

I've made some improvements to the UNC handling since you created this thread and I will look into sorting this also.

neildo.
neildo
Expert

Return to +Extract General Support