Drive not recognized by +Extract

Having problems with +Extract? Ask in here

Drive not recognized by +Extract

Postby Wanstronian » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:02 am

Hi,

Whenever I start +Extract (W7 x64) I get a message saying "You must attach your XTV hard disk before this program can continue. Attach it now and wait 30 seconds for it to be detected, then click Retry to restart this program."

I've put my 250Gb Sky+ drive (after-market) in a USB caddy, which is recognised by W7, but it's not recognised as an "XTV" drive - rather, as a FAT32 drive. I can see the drive contents in Explorer.

In the "Physical disks/XTV images" window, only my internal HDDs are listed (with, understandably, red crosses against them).

What's wrong? Is this a W7 compatibility problem?

Thanks
W
Wanstronian

Re: Drive not recognized by +Extract

Postby Wanstronian » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:54 am

On closer inspection, it seems that my FAT32 Sky+ drive has a load of folders, each containing an STR file.

I've tried a number of different tools to try and convert these, and they all fail.

Interestingly, I can't even copy the files across to my PC's HDD! I keep getting told that I need permission from the computer's adminstrator (erm, that's me!).

Is there any way of getting to my Sky+ recordings? They're all FTA.
Wanstronian

Re: Drive not recognized by +Extract

Postby Wanstronian » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Doesn't seem to be a lot of support on these forums. The author who hasn't even visited in the last fortnight, yet is expecting people to fork out £15 for a piece of software that, as far as the evidence indicates, doesn't even work!

Copy+ sees the drive properly, so there is definitely a problem with +Extract, despite earlier assurances from the forum mod that they use the same method to mount drives. Clearly this is not the case.

Any suggestions for how I can get my Sky+ recordings of the drive would be gratefully received.
Wanstronian

Re: Drive not recognized by +Extract - SUCCESS!

Postby Wanstronian » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:31 am

I solved the problem with +Extract:

Firstly, I opened up my PC and pulled the USB connector that goes to my card reader - I think +Extract may get confused when there's more than one USB controller in operation.

Secondly, I booted into Windows XP (not W7's virtual PC mode).

Not sure if one or both the above steps are necessary, but finally my USB drive was recognised and the STR files extracted.

I do think, given that the author is trying to charge £15 a pop for this (ironically, using 0.4.0.9 the option to actually pay never presents itself due to the modal nature of the "can't find disk" popup), he should spend a bit more time on these forums giving advice. Or write a more robust version of the tool - the number of posts on this subject is testament to its fussy nature.

Anyway, if anybody else has been struggling, hopefully this post will help.

Cheers
W
Wanstronian

Return to +Extract General Support