Copy Radio programs from Sky SD

Having problems with +Extract? Ask in here

Copy Radio programs from Sky SD

Postby urvile » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi
Trying to get an answer to a question I put here months ago. I am trying to save about 180GB of radio shows mostly essential mixes I have recorded over the years and am looking for the best way.
(a) make a copy for the new 1TB Sky HD being delivered later in the month. With all the confusion re; Darwin I'm confused if this can even be done SD to HD 1.5 TB still.
(d) Use +extract plus to copy them to my PC which would have the added advantage of converting the files to mp3 saving a great deal of space. I s this possible in Windows 7 pro. I believe the program converts the files to STR would I need a third party program to convert to mp3?

any help appreciated

thanks
urvile

Re: Copy Radio programs from Sky SD

Postby neildo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:01 pm

urvile wrote:(a) make a copy for the new 1TB Sky HD being delivered later in the month. With all the confusion re; Darwin I'm confused if this can even be done SD to HD 1.5 TB still.

Use Copy+ to make an image file of this hard disk, selecting only the recordings you want to keep. No need to copy the entire disk. +Extract plus can use these image files as virtual hard disks.

urvile wrote:(d) Use +extract plus to copy them to my PC which would have the added advantage of converting the files to mp3 saving a great deal of space. I s this possible in Windows 7 pro. I believe the program converts the files to STR would I need a third party program to convert to mp3?

I've never recorded a radio station and thus its an unknown. I suggest when you've extracted the STR file that you try:

MPEG Streamclip or Super
neildo
Expert

Postby pcbbc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:04 pm

urvile wrote:(a) make a copy for the new 1TB Sky HD being delivered later in the month. With all the confusion re; Darwin I'm confused if this can even be done SD to HD 1.5 TB still.
SD to HD migration is no longer possible if the destination box has Darwin.
This is due to the diverging planner formats on the two platforms and the HD Darwin release is no longer able to comprehend the old SD planner and upgrade it to the HD format.

(d) Use +extract plus to copy them to my PC which would have the added advantage of converting the files to mp3 saving a great deal of space. I s this possible in Windows 7 pro. I believe the program converts the files to STR would I need a third party program to convert to mp3?
Something like ProjectX should be able to extract the MPG2 audio layer from a STR, and you would then have to re-encode as MP3.
All radio stations are FTA.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby urvile » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will have a go with the +extract plus and one way or the other post the results.

thanks again
urvile

Postby urvile » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:52 pm

After Neil kindly replied to my post I purchased the latest version +extract plus and successfully extracted all of the free to air programs on my Sky SD box from the Copy plus image, all 58GB of it. Copy Plus and +Extract Plus worked flawlessly, top notch software. Project X although a bit of a jittery program completed the job even converting all the audio .STR files straight to mp3 I must admit on having some doubts before but thanks to Neil and the excellent programs it was easy. Well done mate, easily worth the £15 and more. Keep it up, now about that pesky Darwin..........

Thanks again
jw
urvile

Postby pcbbc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:12 pm

NP - Glad our efforts were of use to you. 8)

Doesn't ProjectX output audio as MP2, as that is the audio layer of the MPEG-2 DVB standard?
I'd be surprised if it re-encodes as MP3 - ProjectX is just a transcoder as far as I know (no re-encoding, just repackaging).
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby urvile » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 pm

yes you are quite correct in what you say, but when the mp2 files were saved to the destination folder they appeared as mp3. They appear as such in every program I have tried as such and play as mp3 in other stand alone devices as well. It might be something to do with windows 7 pro being used. I bow to your technical expertise but in my humble opinion, if it looks like an mp3, barks like an mp3 there is a good chance it's an mp3. Anyway job done and as I said before, delighted.
urvile

Postby pcbbc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Ah... :oops:
My misunderstanding, MP3 ***IS*** MPEG-2 Audio Layer 3 (or III).

Very sorry for any confusion caused by my lack of technical understanding.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby urvile » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:03 pm

'Very sorry for any confusion caused by my lack of technical understanding'

Don't know where that came from. I never tried to cast any doubt on your abilities but if you feel you have to resort to sarcasm in attempt to put me in my place, then there is little point in continuing here, is there?

signing out......
urvile

Postby StevePritchard » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:12 pm

urvile wrote:'Very sorry for any confusion caused by my lack of technical understanding'

Don't know where that came from. I never tried to cast any doubt on your abilities but if you feel you have to resort to sarcasm in attempt to put me in my place, then there is little point in continuing here, is there?

signing out......

Well, you have read that totally differently to me - I literally thought there was a misunderstanding and that he was apologising for the confusion caused. No sarcasm or double meaning present.

Cheers,

Steve.
StevePritchard

Return to +Extract General Support